Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Pelican


                        A pelican on a post, standing in the sand,



floating in the water,  or flying by, reminds me of my father...


Daddy was one that always enjoyed fishing.  When my children were young and we visited my parents in Florida, a fishing excursion was a must.              



I can still see my toddler, Andy, standing next to a pelican, a few inches taller than him.  Jimmy and Tammy learning to cast, and reel in fish on the inter coastal 



with my father right at there side.  Just as that fish was brought ashore, a pelican arriving to chomp on that catch. 

                           Today, as I look out at that water, 
I can still hear my father's voice as he quoted the limerick by Dixon Lanier Merritt



                      "A wonderful bird is the Pelican,
                       His bill will hold more than his belican.
                       He can take in his beak
                       Enough food for a week!
                       But I'll be darned if I know how the helican?"                                           
                                      



1 comment:

  1. Great post. In Florida, we often had to pull our catch in fast--otherwise a pelikan would try grab it.

    ReplyDelete