Thursday, January 10, 2013

WHIRLWIND





The whirlwind of Christmas is behind and all that remains is the debris of paper, boxes, and half filled coffee mugs. Today, the day after, a quote that I had read by Andy Rooney on the belle maison blog kept coming to my
mind, "One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas Day.  Don't clean it up too quickly." This morning when I thought of it, I thought 'only a man could say that. With all that needs to be cleaned before one can relax.'  Well, as my day wore on, and I kept passing  by my living room, his quote kept haunting me. 






 I made my lunch, turned on the tree lights, put on pandora and sat in the living room amongst the remains of the Best Day Of The Year.  


The memories of just one day ago were flooding back.  The excitement of children opening their presents, the sentimental tears from opening a touching gift, two year olds finding tissue paper and wrapping up a t.v. clicker and presenting it, finding the hidden pickle in the Christmas tree, enjoying a leisurely brunch, scooting into the family room to see a bit of A Christmas Story, a thousand such thoughts kept crossing my mind.  As I sat there, I also thought of Andy Rooney's quote.  And you know, if I had rushed to throw away the boxes, the paper, and tidied up, I would not have sat and reflected on all of the magical happenings of yesterday.  Andy Rooney 
was right!












No comments:

Post a Comment